Moffat County to Donate Hay to Alkali Fire Victims

MC Commissioners-150The Moffat County Commissioners are donating hay to the victims of the Alkali Fire.  The fire burned over 20,000 acres last month, along a 17 mile stretch.  Much of the blaze was on private land, and farmers lost their hay, and even a few cattle.  Every year, just before the Balloon Festival at Loudy Simpson Park, the field of hay next to the park must be mowed, so pilots have a place to land their balloons.  The county has an agreement with a local farmer who cuts the hay, then keeps 75% of it.  The other 25% is sold, with the money going to the county.  However, this year, the commissioners have decided to donate that hay to the victims of that fire.  While they agree it won’t be enough to replace what they lost, their hope is that it will help in their recovery efforts.  If you were one of those fire victims, call the Moffat County Commissioners office at 824-5517.

Comments are closed.