The Museum of Northwest Colorado in Craig is officially part of the City of Craig, as opposed to a Moffat County entity, as of today. The museum says there will be new exhibits ahead, and they thank the City of Craig for the successful transition.
Moffat County has been included in an economic development district formed by the Associated Governments of Northwest Colorado. Other counties included are Routt, Rio Blanco, Garfield, and Mesa Counties. The designation is from the U.S. Economic Development Administration. It’s expected to make Northwest Colorado more competitive for federal grants to maintain and upgrade infrastructure, boost the workforce and ensure healthy communities.
Be ready for snow tonight, which could make driving difficult. Colorado Department of Transportation says to check on the weather forecast for this evening and tomorrow, plan ahead, and be prepared for heavy traffic, especially on the interstates. CDOT says to use extreme caution if you’re driving in the mountains.
Investigators in Garfield County were advised of a registered sex offender who left the county. A warrant was issued for the arrest of 35-year-old Robert Joseph Feliciano. He was located and arrested in Phoenix, Arizona, where he is currently being held. The Garfield County Sheriff’s office says, once they have completed their charges and sentencing he will likely be returned to the State of Colorado to face the statewide warrant that was issued here unless there are other outstanding charges from another states that are more pressing.
Garfield County is also reporting multiple auto thefts from Basalt to Parachute, and especially in the Rifle and Parachute areas. Most of the cars were stolen after dark, from 5:30 in the evening to early morning. From the Garfield County Sheriff’s Office: In order to discourage potential thieves from making you their next target, you can do a few things.
- Lock your vehicle when it is unattended.
- Do not leave your keys or extra key set in the vehicle or sequestered in a “hidden” box.
- Whenever possible park your vehicle in a “well-lit” area that is readily visible to the traveling public.
- Be a good witness, if you see one or more people hanging around a car be observant. If possible, without putting yourself in danger, use your cell phone to take a picture. Note the time of day and location. Call Dispatch at their non-emergency number (970) 625-8095 and report your suspicions.
- Never leave your car running and unattended while it “warms-up”.
- Never leave valuables in your car overnight or even for a short period of time; including wallets, purses, identity cards/passports, cameras, firearms etc. The target may be your car, but thieves are opportunistic that is why they are called thieves.
It is also a good idea to verify that your license plates are in place and securely attached to your vehicle. Thieves may change the plates on a stolen car to avoid immediate detection by law enforcement.
The new online camping reservation system starts today. You can book a camp site six months in advance with Colorado Parks and Wildlife. There are 41 Colorado State Parks. Those state parks in Northwest Colorado include Stagecoach, Pearl Lake, Steamboat Lake, Elkhead Reservoir, and Yampa River State Park. The link to make your reservation is www.cpwshop.com
The Moffat County High School FIRST Robotics program is hosting a fundraiser breakfast this Saturday morning. It’s $5 per person. Money raised will benefit the engineering education program. The breakfast is from 8-10 a.m. at the Moffat County Fairground Pavilion. For more information, call 970-824-7036.
For the weather, don’t forget to call the KRAI Time, Temp, and Weather Hotline at 970-824-1918.