The Alabama man who died in a head-on collision Monday night on Colorado Highway 13 has been identified. Colorado State Patrol says 63-year-old William Walker from Trinity, Alabama, crossed the center line and hit a semi truck. State Patrol says alcohol looks to be a factor in the crash. The two people in the semi were wearing their seatbelts, and weren’t hurt.
Inmates in the Routt County Jail can now have access to counseling for drug addiction, similar to what has been happening in Moffat County for the past two years. Routt County Board of Commissioners agreed to the new therapy program at their meeting Tuesday. Part of it is funded by a state-awarded grant for $19,000. Craig Thornhill is a licensed addiction counselor who will run the program. Each inmate will be screened for substance abuse and mental health within 48 hours of being booked in the local jail. Those suffering from addiction can enroll in the therapy, and get medication-assisted treatments that the jail already provides.
There were two attempted bank robberies in Eagle County Wednesday. They both happened in Edwards at a Wells Fargo and US Bank. Police are looking for a female, about 5’4” with blond hair and freckles. She was wearing a blue hoodie. No one was injured in the robbery. Nearby schools in the Edwards area were put on lockout.
The Hayden Town Council has received a formal request to allow retail marijuana sales, near Yampa Valley Regional Airport. The issue will be discussed at next Tuesday night’s town council meeting.
It’s a big and busy weekend weekend in Northwest Colorado.
- The 33rd annual “Where the Hell is Maybell” bicycle ride is Saturday. It starts in Craig and ends in Maybell. Find out more at 970-826-2004. You can also play bingo at the Maybell Community Center Saturday afternoon.
- Also this Saturday, it is the 2nd annual Spring Expo at Alice Pleasant Park in downtown Craig. Hours are 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- The Craig Christian Church has their Spring Bazaar Saturday morning.
- The Mule Deer Foundation has their Pancake Feed Saturday morning at the Deer Park Hotel & Suites.
- The Rocky Mountain Kobota and Craig Press Home and Garden Expo is Saturday at the Moffat County Ice Arena and Loudy Simpson Park.
- The Great American Horse Drive is also this weekend. It starts in Brown’s Park Saturday and then runs through Maybell and west towards Craig on Sunday morning. It’s also Maybell Heritage Days this weekend.
- And Sunday morning, bright and early at sunrise, which is at 6:16 a.m., the Ute Tribe will do the “Blessing of the Land” at the Sand Wash Basin, on Moffat County Road 75.
For the weather, don’t forget to call the KRAI Time, Temp, and Weather Hotline at 970-824-1918.