Today is Memorial Day. There is a Memorial Day Service at 11 a.m. today, in the Craig Cemetery. Local veterans will acknowledge area soldiers with the laying of the flags and a 21-gun salute. All community members are invited.
At 1 p.m. there is a Memorial Day Service in the main arena of the Moffat County Fairgrounds. And at 2 p.m. today, there is a service in the Maybell Cemetery.
In Routt County, there is also a service at 11 a.m. honoring those who served in the Armed Forces, at the Veterans’ Memorial at the Steamboat Springs Cemetery.
Also in Craig, Browns Amusement Carnival continues on the east side of the Moffat County Fairgrounds. And today from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m., it’s the championship round of the high school and junior high Colorado State Rodeo Championships.
Craig City Council meets tomorrow evening.
- The first meeting in the afternoon is at the Moffat County Courthouse. It’s a combined services workshop between Moffat County and the city departments. Topics include Loudy-Simpson Park, the cemetery property, and Maybell Sewage.
- Then at 5 p.m., there is a workshop on the Regional Transit Authority.
- The regular meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. at Craig City Hall.
- The potential rehab center going into the Yampa Building will be discussed. Craig Conrad has concerns about the proposal.
- A request for operational funding will be made for Jayne Morley, representing the Museum of Northwest Colorado and Moffat County Libraries. There will also be a presentation on sidewalks, from the Northwest Colorado Center for Independence. Retail marijuana in Craig will be discussed and a motion could be made that would put the issue on the November ballot.
- Also, a Life Saving Award will be given to Craig Police Officer Jessey Kennell for his life saving efforts after he performed CPR on a man.
The deadline to join the Yampa Valley Solar Co-op is July 1. Some information sessions about the co-op are coming up. Tuesday, June 4, is at 6 p.m. At Rachel’s Smokin’ BBQ in Oak Creek. Wednesday evening, June 5, at the same, the solar Info Session is at Wild Goose Coffee in Hayden. Thursday, June 6, is at the Center of Craig at 601 Yampa Ave., and then Friday, June 7, there is an open house that evening at the Depot Art Center in Steamboat. For the details, go to www.SolarUnitedNeighbors.org/YampaValley.
Congratulations to the Class of 2019 at Moffat County High School. 121 students are now graduates. Josh Teeter was valedictorian and Molly Neton was Salutatorian. The Outstanding Senior Boy and Girl went to AJ Barber and Molly Neton. Eight bulldogs are joining the military after graduation. Caroline Riley gave the commencement address and Sambu Shrestha gave the farewell address to the class, giving a special thanks to the teachers and the parents. Principal Kyle York is also leaving the high school this year. The 2019 class gift is a new mural on the grounds of the school, and a new set of furniture for the common area.
Also, congratulations to the 51 graduates at Meeker High School and those at Rangely High School which graduated 32 seniors.
For the weather, don’t forget to call the KRAI Time, Temp, and Weather Hotline at 970-824-1918.
And finally… This is Shannon Lukens and today is my birthday!