Walmart is suing Moffat County and Routt County and 30 other Colorado counties for overvaluing its personal property tax for local stores. The retailer hopes to decrease their tax bills and potentially set a legal precedent.
Moffat County Commissioners are looking to hire an Emergency Management Coordinator. It’s a full-time position. The Craig Press reports the job has been vacant since September. Commissioners will try to find someone locally. If not, they’ll look statewide. $94,000 has been budgeted for the position with help from a federal emergency management performance grant. The biggest risk of disaster to Moffat County is from wildfire. Flooding is number two. Hazardous material is number three.
Firefighters in Routt County have recently responded to three carbon monoxide alarms that have detected unsafe levels in people’s homes. All three showed legitimate unsafe levels of gas. Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless, and tasteless gas known as the “silent killer.” Routt County fire departments want to remind residents to check gas alarms, heating, and ventilation systems.
Tips to prevent carbon monoxide buildup
- Keep gas appliances properly adjusted.
- Consider purchasing a vented space heater when replacing an unvented one.
- Use proper fuel in kerosene space heaters.
- Install and use an exhaust fan vented to outdoors over gas stoves.
- Open flues when fireplaces are in use.
- Choose properly sized wood stoves that are certified to meet EPA emission standards. Make certain that doors on all wood stoves fit tightly.
- Have a trained professional inspect, clean and tune-up central heating system (furnaces, flues and chimneys) annually.
- Repair any leaks promptly.
- Do not idle the car inside garage.
Today is Black Friday and #Fresh Air Friday. Colorado Parks and Wildlife want you to get outside and enjoy some of the 41 state parks for free today. Five are here in Northwest Colorado.
- State Park Finder: https://cpw.state.co.us/placestogo/parks/Pages/ParkMap.aspx
- Trails App: https://cpw.state.co.us/CTS/Pages/default.aspx
- Fishing App: https://cpw.state.co.us/Pages/CPW-Fishing-App.aspx
- Leave No Trace Principles: https://www.colorado.com/sites/default/files/CO_LNTBrochure_8.pdf
Freedom Hooves Therapeutic Riding of Northwest Colorado is hosting “A Unicorn Christmas” today. It’s from 4-6 at Freedom Hooves at 900 Johnson Road. There is a $20 donation for the family photo with a winter backdrop, Santa and Mrs. Claus, and a unicorn.
Small Business Saturday is tomorrow. The Downtown Business Association in Craig is hosting some sales at some of the shops along Yampa Avenue. There is also a progressive breakfast throughout the stores and some Christmas cards for military members who are overseas. It’s from 8-6 tomorrow, with the breakfast from 9-11 a.m. and it’s free.
The Parade of Lights is tomorrow evening in downtown Craig. It’s from 6-8 p.m. It starts at Craig Middle School and heads down Yampa Ave., before turning left on Victory Way and then Ledford Street. KRAI will be playing holiday music, courtesy of King Homes and Land Realty, and Ashley Ellis at Farm Bureau Insurance in Craig.
For the weather, don’t forget to call the KRAI Time, Temp, and Weather Hotline at 970-824-1918.