KRAI News for Friday, Feb. 22, 2019

Triple Crown Sports wants to use the baseball diamonds at Emerald Park this summer. They’ll be asking Steamboat Springs City Council for an amendment to Triple Crown’s contract with the city at this Tuesday’s meeting. They are hoping to use the fields in Steamboat because two baseball fields at Hayden Elementary School will be out of commission this summer as the school district there starts building a new school. Triple Crown uses the ball fields in Steamboat, Hayden, and Craig.


Trucks with hazardous chemicals may soon be allowed to travel through Eisenhower Tunnel. Right now they go over Loveland Pass. A new bill has been passed in the state Senate that would have CDOT start looking into the possibility of having those trucks with hazardous chemicals go through the tunnel instead of up and over the pass. The next hearing in the house is next Tuesday.

Professionals from Craig and Moffat County had their kickoff event for The Network. It’s for professionals in the community, who are looking to meet and network with other professionals in the community. The Network has a facebook page. Or you can call 970-629-5915 for more information.

There is a career fair in Craig today, if you’re looking for a job. It’s from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Jennmar Services at 316 West Victory Way in Craig. Bring your resume and bring a friend. Everyone is invited.

 Another job that might be of interest is a new one. The Friends of the Yampa Group has raised enough money to hire a new full-time program manager. The position will oversee and manage events and programming, and keep everyone up to date on what’s happening with the Yampa River. They’ll also manage the non-profit’s fundraising and membership, along with media and admin. More on the job opening is at Applications are due by Feb. 28.

Graduating seniors who are headed to college should be looking at the scholarships they can get. The Craig Press reports more than 14 different groups are accepting scholarship applications right now. The deadlines are next month. A complete listing of the scholarships that are available is in the counseling office at Moffat County High School.

Lift ticket prices at Steamboat Resorts over Presidents Day weekend were $199 a day, for an adult visitor. That’s an all-time high for the ski area. That’s also the price that Ikon Base passholders had to pay if they wanted to take some turns. Their pass was blacked out over the holiday. 

Start planning for the Momma Outfitters Consignment Sale. It’s April 12-13 in the Grandstands Building at Moffat County Fairgrounds. It’s a huge consignment sale where you can get kids clothing and shoes, sporting gear, and baby equipment. Consigners keep 60 percent of sales, with the other 40 percent going to the Pregnancy and Family Center. The early registration fee is $5. It increases to $10 after March 22. Find out more at: 

 Those kids under 18 who want to learn how to hunt turkey the right way, can apply for a chance to take part in a turkey hunt on private lands, in Craig or Meeker this spring. The application to apply for either hunt is due April 1. The hunts are offered through the Hunter Outreach Program with Colorado Parks and Wildlife.

 The 3rd annual Luttrell Barn Winter Tea Fundraiser Party is Sunday afternoon. It’s from 2-4 p.m. at the Luttrell Barn Cultural Center, at 411 Emerson Street. Tickets are available at Downtown Books and Kitchen A La More, or at the door on Sunday.

 A group called the Hornbuckles are playing at the Hahn’s Peak Roadhouse this Saturday night. If you want to hear what the Denver-based band is like, just watch the NBC TV show The Voice tonight. They’re on it.

 In sports, Cale Scranton of Moffat County High School has signed a Letter of Intent to play football for the Western Colorado University Mountaineers in Gunnison in the fall.

 The 3A CHSAA State Wrestling Championships continue in Denver. Moffat County’s Dagan White and Daniel Caddy both advanced Thursday. Follow the Moffat County wrestlers, and all 23 athletes from Northwest Colorado right here on KRAI. Broadcasts are at 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. today, and then 10 in the morning, and 6:30 tomorrow night. It all depends on the rankings. You can also listen online at Not only are there wrestlers at the state tournament from Moffat County, there are also wrestlers there from Meeker, Steamboat, Hayden, Soroco, and Rangely.

 There is a big basketball game today at 4 p.m. in Grand Junction. The Moffat County Lady Bulldogs play the Cedaredge Bruins in the semi-final round of the 3A Western Slope League District Tournament. 

And in Steamboat, the boys varsity basketball team plays Canon City at 5 p.m. Saturday afternoon, for the second round of the 4A CHSAA State Basketball playoffs. That game is at Steamboat Springs High School. 

For the weather, don’t forget to call the KRAI Time, Temp, and Weather Hotline at 970-824-1918.

Comments are closed.