Call Before You Burn

controlled-burns-300Those planning agricultural burns in Northwest Colorado are asked to provide a courtesy call to emergency officials before beginning the burning process. Agricultural burning is the open burning of cover vegetation for the purpose of preparing the soil for crop production, weed control, maintenance of water conveyance structures related to agricultural operations and any other agricultural cultivation purposes.  Before you start agricultural burns in Routt County you are asked to contact the Routt County Communications Center. They will require the following information from you, location, size of area to be burned, start/finish time, material to be burned, and property ownership.  If planning a burn in Moffat County contact Moffat County Sherriff’s or contacts the Moffat County dispatch center. In Carbon County you can contact Rawlins Dispatch, or the Carbon County Sheriffs office, and in Rio Blanco County you can contact County Dispatch.  This contact information is available below.  These tips will also help ensure that your next Agricultural Burn takes place without incident. Be aware of the weather on the day that you plan to burn, and never burn on windy days. Notify your neighbors of your plans, and have a shovel and water handy to extinguish the fire if it gets out of control. Remove debris to the bare soil around power poles and fences to prevent damage. Dig a fire line at the point where you want the fire to stop if your vegetation is continuous and might cause the fire to carry beyond your planned burn area. And finally, never leave a fire unattended


Routt County Communications Center: (970)879-1110

Rio Blanco County Dispatch: (970)878-9600

Moffat County Sheriff/ Dispatch: (970) 824-4495

Rawlins Dispatch: (800)295-9953 office; (307)-328-4229 fax

Comments are closed.