Drivers will need to be on the look out Wednesday as children across Northwest Colorado will be participating in bike to school day. As part of the National Bike to School Day students, parents and teachers will be walking or riding their bikes to and from school. Bike to School events are designed to emphasize the importance of increasing physical activity among children, while promoting cyclist and pedestrian safety. A list of bike safety tips are available below.
CDOT encourages schools and parents to remind their students about riding safely to and from school.
- Protect your brain – helmet up on every ride
- Do a bike ABC Quick Check (Air, Brakes, Cranks and Chain)
- Be visible, wear bright clothes
- Stick to your planned route to and from school
- Ride in the same direction as traffic when on the street
- Look left, right, and left again before crossing the street
- Use hand signals when stopping or turning
- Be extra careful by driveways, parking lots, and intersections
- Parents and children should practice the safe route to school before Bike to School Day