Stay Safe this Hunting Season
• Every time you see a gun, pick one up or point it, assume that it’s loaded and treat it accordingly.
• Make sure your safety is always on and that the barrel is pointing down when you are walking or transporting your gun. When hunting with dogs, be sure the muzzle is level with the ground at the very least and preferably angled up in the air.
• Never shoot at a sound or movement. Be absolutely sure that you’re shooting at an animal and that no people are anywhere near your target.
• Wear at least the required amount of orange so you don’t become another hunter’s target.
• Make sure all animals are dead before strapping them onto your vehicle.
• Wait until your kids are old enough to understand and follow rules before bringing them hunting.
• Never climb a tree or over a fence with a loaded gun.
• Keep your finger off the trigger until you’re ready to shoot.
• Save those beers until the end of the day, it’s just plain common sense.
• Look well beyond your target before you shoot. High-powered ammunition can travel up to three miles and still be deadly.
• Hunt with a trusted buddy. If you’re alone, make sure that someone knows where you will be and when to expect you back. If you’re hunting with an unsafe shooter, you don’t need an excuse to leave.
• If using a tree stand to hunt, don’t forget to wear a safety belt.
• Be sure all your equipment is working properly and you know how to operate it before hunting.
• Store and transport ammunition separately from guns. Keep everything under lock and key when it’s not in use.
• It doesn’t take much effort to elevate your heart rate into the danger zone. Make sure you exercise regularly for better fitness on your hunt.
AMBER ALERT FOR MISSING COLORADO GIRL
Police are looking for a 10-year-old girl who disappeared while walking to school Friday morning. Police said Jessica Ridgeway was last seen in Westminster, Colorado, walking to school in the area of 107th Avenue and Moore Street around 8:30 a.m. Jessica is 4 feet 10 inches tall and weighs 80 pounds. She has blonde, shoulder-length hair with blue eyes. She was wearing a black jacket and pink and purple glasses. Police said there was a long delay in reporting the girl missing as she wasn’t missed until after school. Westminster police, a search dog and dozens of neighbors are searching the area for the girl on Friday night. There is a large greenbelt area to the south of the area she was last seen. Anyone with information on the whereabouts of Ridgeway is asked to call Westminster police at 303-658-4360.
TIME IS RUNNING OUT TO REGISTER TO VOTE
If you have not yet registered to vote in this falls general election, there’s only a few days remaining to get that done. County elections clerks across the state are reminding residents that Tuesday is the last day to register, if you want to be able to vote in next month’s election. If you aren’t sure if you are registered, you can call or stop by your county clerk’s office. If you have a a Colorado driver’s license or ID card, you can register on-line – here.
SEVEN VEHICLE ACCIDENT CLOSES I-80
Wyoming State troopers are investigating a seven vehicle crash about 15 miles east of Laramie that claimed at least one life. Two tractor trailer trucks were consumed by fire in the accident. Dense fog and black ice, were a contributing factor to the crash, which happened near the Vedauwoo Interchange around 2:30 Saturday morning, causing a section of I-80 to be closed for much of the day.
In high school sports over the weekend:
Little Snake River Valley beat Kaycee 73-29.
Soroco topped South Park 48-6.
Hayden lost to West Grand 32-28.
Rangely topped Vail Christian 30-6.
Steamboat defeated Battle Mountain 43-0.
Moffat County beat Summit 33-0.
Hayden fell to Plateau Valley .
Little Snake River Valley – Cokeville.
Hayden lost to Paonia 19-25, 11-25, 8-25
Steamboat fell to Summit 29-27, 25-13, 24-26 and 25-15
Meeker – Plateau Valley.
Rangely -North Park.
In boys soccer:
Steamboat – Palisade.
The Denver Broncos play at New England today. You can catch all the action live on 55 Country, with the pre-game at noon and the kick-off at 2:25.